Maybe you forgot that Monday was a long weekend, or you were just too busy dealing with the stomach virus, homework, cooking, yadda yadda yadda. But suddenly, it’s Thursday, and the weekend is upon us and you want a quick escape with the fam.
Here are five of easy weekend escapes likely to have space for you and your clan–this weekend!
1. Camp Richardson, Lake Tahoe. This sweet little spot is one of my favorite family escapes year round. Winters are perfect for cross country skiing and snow shoeing (not to mention the nearby slopes of Heavenly). And summers are ripe for swimming. Spring and Fall lure hikers and those wanting the enjoy the quiet of California’s natural wonderland.
2. Mendocino’s Navarro River Redwoods State Park. Why not take advantage of the lovely weather sprouting up all over NorCal and go camping in the redwoods? Cap off your adventure with some whale watching in Fort Bragg.
3. Palm Springs Smoke Tree Ranch. I recently found this gem of a resort, populated with houses surrounding a playground, golf course, basketball courts and an evening firepit complete with cowboys telling stories.
4. San Francisco: This weekend is the massive Chinese New Year Parade, as well as the fun scavenger hunt that takes place behind the scenes of the parade. And while many hotels might be at capacity, I was just poking around hotel availability and you can still score rooms in some great hotels.
5. Terranea Resort: Sometimes you just want to splurge on a resort. And if you don’t want to hop on a plane, this Palos Verdes resort is your only real option. The cliffside property pays homage to its south of the border proximity by offering Mexican themed design, a huge pool, two hot tubs, a slew of restaurants, and plenty of outdoor nooks to cozy up. The evening firepit and S’mores is a plus for families.
Got any fun destinations to share? Where are you off to this weekend?